Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Parents' Complaints

Perhaps this shouldn't bother me, but it does. We had an incredible ice storm - beginning Sunday - and the public schools have closed for three days and counting. If I'm not mistaken, the county declared another snow day for tomorrow, Thursday.

The snow days and school cancellations don't bother me (our house isn't affected, thank goodness). What ruffles my feathers is the barrage of parental complaints littering Face Book. Parents are moaning and becoming stir crazy because they are forced to spend 24/7 with their own children! Did I read those statuses correctly?



Wait a minute. That complainer used to be me too. When I believed the public school system was a way for me to be alone and "free", I too would be aghast at the number of missed school days; as if the weather ruined my private plans! I also remember a lot of mornings at the local preschool as I overheard mothers' conversations and how they couldn't wait to drop off their child so shopping/eating/working out at the gym/socializing could be done. What a sad commentary.

Have we become so accustomed to somebody else raising our children that when we have zero alternative and must watch and care for these precious babes non-stop for four days, we go ballistic?! Praise God for homeschooling. While it isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, the moments I've gained understanding my girls' hearts are priceless and a true gift. If only these folks on Face Book had the same experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment