Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Re-evaluating

I can't believe that it's March 2nd! I know the time will fly, so I'd better decide on our curriculum for next fall. Technically, I homeschool year-round and allow only about one month off in the summer, but I need to begin planning now. I don't want to make the same mistake as last year - waiting until May to choose first grade and kindergarten curriculum - and walking up and down aisles at the local homeschool conference exhibit hall. I impulsively bought two "curriculums in a box", and frankly, I've been disappointed. The first grade kit assumed that my student could barely read (which isn't the case at all!) and the kindergarten kit needs a lot of supplemental activities. Additionally, both kits introduced the days of creation and my daughters have studied creation twice in one year already! *Sigh*

With the amount of free information and resources on the Internet, I could have written my own curriculum, but I was persuaded to take the easy path and purchase a promise in a box. One mother had warned me against ready-made curriculum, but I fell into the temptation of ease, convenience, and new, shiny textbooks. This year's convention is only two months away so I'll be scrambling a bit to solidify our preferences beforehand. Ironically, the more I study curriculum choices and homeschool methodologies, the less I want to purchase texts and workbooks. So maybe at the May convention, I'll simply browse the used-book booth!

No comments:

Post a Comment