Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Good Starting Point (for non-cooks)

In my attempt to shed pounds, I've begun to examine our food choices and to slowly steer away from processed and pre-packaged products. I state slowly because I have to change my lifelong habit of buying for convenience!

My oldest daughter loves Bisquick pancakes, but I couldn't find a replacement box in the grocery store (other than the pourable liquid - yuck!) On Friday morning, I logged onto the Internet and Binged an easy, homemade pancake recipe. As usual, allrecipes.com topped the list.

I am not a stellar cook; worse I am uncomfortable in the kitchen unless I have written, step-by-step directions. Obviously, I can prepare easy meals, but most involve packaged foods. I'm in the midst of training myself to think, "What can I make from scratch?" Friday provided me the opportunity.

I like allrecipes.com because other readers submit comments and many include substitution ingredients. I chose the first pancake recipe, but used melted butter instead of vegetable oil (probably not the healthier choice, I know) and lessened the amount of baking powder and salt per another reader's suggestion. I also added one teaspoon of vanilla, an ingredient that I wouldn't think to use in the batter. The pancakes were very fluffy and filling - my daughter could barely eat two! To my surprise, the pancakes were delicious once cold. More importantly than the taste, the recipe awarded me confidence. Frankly, I don't know if I'll replace the Bisquick now! And I plan to use allrecipes.com for future meal planning. For non-cooks like me, it can be a lifesaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment